German Virtual Racers Community Portal
German Virtual Racers Community Foren-Übersicht

NGP6 - Offline Test
Gehe zu Seite Zurück  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Weiter

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    German Virtual Racers Community Foren-Übersicht -> Richard Burns Rally -> Next Generation Physics
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

Bilder im Album: 0

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 26, 2020 15:12    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

@Bee So far everybody is extremely happy with the latest update!

If I can speak for our CZ community, the only additional thing they would like to be adjusted is driving snow / gravel tires on tarmac - the tires should wear much faster in this case. What do you think?

This would also make the tires choice strategy more important in a Monte-Carlo style events.

Thanks

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Persönliches Foto Album AIM-Name
WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

Bilder im Album: 29
Bilder in P. Galerie: 27
WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 26, 2020 16:36    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Unfortunately that is not possible.
The tire wear is not related to which tire on which surface, so if you increase the tire wear for a tire on one surface, it applies to all surfaces.

So this is no additional source for tactics.

I you really want to rework this part of the simulation, you should prepare for two or three years of testing with different kinds of cars and tracks.
Not worth the effort, as in the end nobody will be satisfied, as we all know by now. wink

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Persönliches Foto Album
jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 26, 2020 17:00    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

It is not that big deal - don't worry!
As the feedback is very positive and this version also provides that important stuttering fix, do you think it would be possible to release it anytime soon? Or do you plan to implement even more changes for 6.3?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Persönliches Foto Album AIM-Name
WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 26, 2020 17:22    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Well, I have never planned to make any changes in 6.x. wink

Seems like the latest 6.3 is accepted by the majority of testers, so I just wanted to wait till the end of the weekend.

I can publish the rev. 756 anytime, just a few clicks away.

Dennis Zetak
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 26, 2020 17:42    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Majority will be really satisfied by releasing this awesome rev. Cars are perfect balanced and the stuttering fix is very important for us due to long rallies on cz plugin. It will be awesome if you write to Vasek to public this rev. on plugin immediately you release it.

pedrodfa
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 26, 2020 22:35    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Just my two cents:

6.3 version feels quite good, nice improvement from the previous versions especially the understeer tendency. good job all around. Feels well balanced through all surfaces.

tested mainly r5, wrc, groupA on the three surfaces dry and wet.

wrcPuncture
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 26, 2020 23:49    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Bee, firstly thank you for your work and releasing this version smile I'm sure that people will love it. Maybe something can appear after a long time, but in the last days I didn't notice anything. Again: I really appreciate your approach!

I have few questions, just cause I'm curious..

1) Aero - to be honest, I don't know how aero stuff works in NGP, but it feels good for me. But - is there some influence by ride height? Or for example angle of bottom of the car to the road?

2) Ride height - we have some value in the setup. I've come across more options to measure this height, but (due to my poor knowledge) I don't know which is right. So, what means this value in RBR? Or to be precise, from which point to point is it measured in RBR?

3) Suspensions/ride height/bump stop - I quite struggle with finding a good balance between these things. Do you have any tips, how we can calculate (or estimate) values, that works properly together? Please note that I'm just amateur in this topic. But I mean something like: I choose 300mm spring, 40kN stiff, and then how I can estimate to choose right ride height? Or how can I calculate that the car will not be in permanent "bump stop"? To be honest, I'm setting up these parameters just by "feelings"

4) Active diffs - I noticed that in NGP5/6 there are not WRC cars with all active diffs. Is there any reason that you don't want to make these cars (with 3 active diffs)? Physics or engine limitations? I mean, I'm not missing all these diffs option...but it would be pleasure to drive also cars like Focus 01, 206 etc.

adrianklimas
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Jan 27, 2020 11:24    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

I tested the new relase only on snow and tarmac sufarces. It feels great to me smile On tarmac steering is more precise and I do some faster times than on previous version of NGP 6.

But on snow is now less grip? maybe that's just my impression but I cant do any good time on snow (compared to the previous version of NGP 6).

Thanks Bee for a great job. When I see replay - car suspension working like a real WRC Car <3 Something beutifull !

Sorry for my poor english wink

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Jan 27, 2020 18:10    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

wrcPuncture hat folgendes geschrieben:

1) Aero - to be honest, I don't know how aero stuff works in NGP, but it feels good for me. But - is there some influence by ride height? Or for example angle of bottom of the car to the road?

Aero is calculated separately for front and rear taking into account the forward velocity (vector).
So if you go sideways at 90 degrees, there is no downforce.
Thus far the pitch of the vehicle plays a role, but as pitch angle is very small, that should be negligible.

2) Ride height - we have some value in the setup. I've come across more options to measure this height, but (due to my poor knowledge) I don't know which is right. So, what means this value in RBR? Or to be precise, from which point to point is it measured in RBR?

Ride height is measured from some central point at the axle to the ground.
Usually these are located at the same height relative to the body.
Almost ever car in rbr has a little nose down attitude.

3) Suspensions/ride height/bump stop - I quite struggle with finding a good balance between these things. Do you have any tips, how we can calculate (or estimate) values, that works properly together? Please note that I'm just amateur in this topic. But I mean something like: I choose 300mm spring, 40kN stiff, and then how I can estimate to choose right ride height? Or how can I calculate that the car will not be in permanent "bump stop"? To be honest, I'm setting up these parameters just by "feelings"

Well, you don't choose a ride height.
But you should know that if you are too far away from the default ride height, you will get some unwanted bump steer.
Best practice would be to check the spring deflection via telemetry.
This tells you how far away you are from the bump stops (as defined in the surface.lsp files).
Platform height applies here as well, the more platform height, the shorter the bump stop, or exactly speaking, the later the bump stop gets activated (and generates forces in the process).
So, 50mm platform height means zero length bump stop.

4) Active diffs - I noticed that in NGP5/6 there are not WRC cars with all active diffs. Is there any reason that you don't want to make these cars (with 3 active diffs)? Physics or engine limitations? I mean, I'm not missing all these diffs option...but it would be pleasure to drive also cars like Focus 01, 206 etc.

Haha, no limitations !!
The two or so original cars in NGP5 I guess had these diffs.
The reason I did not make more of them is simple.
Every vanilla physics car, i.e. any non-NGP car, had these diffs, and has been used year after year after year since the very beginning.
Boring, and every car had the same base behavior, no matter what the physics creators might have told you. wink
The plan is to sometime make a couple of these cars, again.

@adrian
Snow grip has been changed a bit, but you may cut a little more.

wrcPuncture
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Jan 29, 2020 22:05    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

WorkerBee hat folgendes geschrieben:

Aero is calculated separately for front and rear taking into account the forward velocity (vector).
So if you go sideways at 90 degrees, there is no downforce.
Thus far the pitch of the vehicle plays a role, but as pitch angle is very small, that should be negligible.

agree, I wast just curious smile

Well, you don't choose a ride height.
But you should know that if you are too far away from the default ride height, you will get some unwanted bump steer.
Best practice would be to check the spring deflection via telemetry.
This tells you how far away you are from the bump stops (as defined in the surface.lsp files).
Platform height applies here as well, the more platform height, the shorter the bump stop, or exactly speaking, the later the bump stop gets activated (and generates forces in the process).
So, 50mm platform height means zero length bump stop.

So, bump steer is like perfect for default setup? In rev. 756 the default setups feel quite good smile

Haha, no limitations !!
Every vanilla physics car, i.e. any non-NGP car, had these diffs, and has been used year after year after year since the very beginning.

nice to hear...yeah I agree there are many more interesting cars.

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 30, 2020 16:40    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Ok, so a solution for each and everyone:

NGP 6.3.758.431

Excerpt from the (updated) readme:
6.3 2020-01-30
* physics update rate configurable (144 Hz monitor stutter fix)

RBRCIT/carList.ini already updated, the rev. 758 is supposed to be the last one ...

Feel free to test ASAP.

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 30, 2020 19:22    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Where we can configure the physics rate? Or does it adapt automatically?
I have tested it, as well as previous revisions and unfortunately I couldn't get rid of that "microstutter". For me it is not that big deal though - as long as that after-1-hour-hyper-stutter is gone.

EDIT: The physics rate is configurable using physicsUpdateRate parameter in RichardBurnsRally.ini

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 10:23    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

And yes, reworking snow surfaces I also adjusted the snowwalls a bit. These are a little more forgiving now. But I still would not recommend cutting too much, as this will slow you down significantly or rip your suspension to shreds, depending on the angle.

What is the reason for this adjustment? Personally I find the cutting through the snow to be more kind of glitch, an RBR specific feature that has no support in reality. If you want to achieve good times in original snow stages, you need to drive in very artificial way right now.
That's why I think this behavior should be suppressed instead of making it even easier to misuse.

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 11:18    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

jendabek hat folgendes geschrieben:
Personally I find the cutting through the snow to be more kind of glitch, an RBR specific feature that has no support in reality. If you want to achieve good times in original snow stages, you need to drive in very artificial way right now.

So you are experienced in real life how to use snowbanks ?

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 12:54    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

I just think the current state is already enough forgiving, isn't it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWO0EYT9OGw

Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Bilder im Album: 37
Bilder in P. Galerie: 2
Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 13:00    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Snowwalls:

In actual real videos, i dont see driver who use snowwalls purposely. It is more "i can take alittle bit more risk because the snowwall probably saves me if it is going wrong".

If you want it 100% realistic, you have to deal with something. In reality there many kind of snowwalls. You can get fluffy snowwalls or hard icy snowwalls and all between. Sometimes you have fluffy with some hard icy chunks.....

RBR can´t deal with this varietys, you have only one physic for it (and it is only working on vanilla stages).

it is allways a compromise and i think the compromise from v756 was even. if you hit it to deep you will spin and not hit to hard. But also you can´t cut it (as in vanilla). if you cut light, you need allways work on your steeringwheel and slow down a little bit. seems fair for me.

and by the way, we have enough parts on the tracks where fences or guard railing are solid (against the reality).

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 14:18    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

I agree, I just don't know why make it more forgiving.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von jendabek am Mo Feb 03, 2020 21:22, insgesamt einmal bearbeitet

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 16:44    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

I agree, I just dont't know the reason why make it more forgiving.

Climate change ?

LaTeX
VDRM/GVRC-Moderator
VDRM/GVRC-Moderator

Bilder im Album: 139
Bilder in P. Galerie: 20
LaTeX's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 19:49    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

With climate change the temperature rises and so the snow melts und freezes more often. So the snow wall gets harder not softer. It only stays soft when the temperature is really low all the time.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Persönliches Foto Album
WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 03, 2020 20:12    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

No, climate change makes the snow fall later within the winter season, if any.
So the NGP snowbanks are quite new and therefore softer. wink

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Feb 04, 2020 11:44    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

In the current NRC event consisting of the original snow stages we get very strange results because of this - many R5 get faster times than WRC just because there are drivers who know how to shorten the turns through the snowbanks. They also use some kind of extreme values in their setups so their cars are not being damaged during these cuts.
No, I don't have the real life experience with the racing on snow, but never saw a driving style like this and still I don't get why to make this even easier.

But of course I am happy RBR simulates the climate change. eek

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Feb 04, 2020 12:45    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

many R5 get faster times than WRC just because there are drivers who know how to shorten the turns through the snowbanks.

You can't claim that this is attributed just to the snowbanks.
I suppose this is due to the better driving line you can choose now, as the car reacts way better than before.

And you are putting it that the snowbanks went from 100% to 0%.
Which is absolutely not the case.
You should know better that I do not make breaking changes without any reason.
I had to soften the snowbanks because otherwise they did not match the different surface and tire values.

If you are stuck in a snowbank and can't get out in a powerful AWD then there is something wrong.
At least if you are not in a ditch or something similar.
I made a lot of tests, and the "old" behavior with the new surface/tires was just wrong.

They also use some kind of extreme values in their setups so their cars are not being damaged during these cuts.

Don't make sense.
No matter the setup values, if you cut in a too steep angle, you still will get sucked in and maybe damage the suspension.
But as the snowbanks are softer, the damage now is not so pronounced as before.
Different, yes, but this is not wrong, which you imply all the time by complaining here.

No, I don't have the real life experience with the racing on snow, but never saw a driving style like this and still I don't get why to make this even easier.

Sorry, I have never seen this "driving style" and can't comment on that.

But of course I am happy RBR simulates the climate change. eek

Yes, thanks to Greta I have finally realized that I just had to pull the head out of my arse to enjoy the sunshine. wink

pedrodfa
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Feb 04, 2020 15:06    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

after extensive testing comparing th online 6.2 version with the latest 6.3 revision I measure that the new revision uses significant more resources than 6.2. Tested with physics rate = 0.
Can anyone confirm this? tested on peyregrosse stage, stopped at start line doing nothing: with 6.2 version i can maintain 144fps and with the 6.3 version I have drops. I see more cpu and gpu usage in the software i use to measure it: FPSvr. In 6.2 gpu usage is around 89% and in 6.3 is 97% for example. Strange.
Is there a reason for this behaviour or is it a bug? If its related to the physics rate thing I would definetely prefer to not be able to change it and to have better fps for the first hour of gameplay.

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Feb 04, 2020 16:14    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

I can't reproduce this, surprisingly my GPU usage is even little lower with the 6.3 compared to 6.2.

6.2 Peyregrosse start line: 29%
6.3 Peyregrosse start line: 25%

I use 144 physics rate.

pedrodfa
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Feb 04, 2020 16:59    Titel: NGP6 - Offline Test Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Ok that’s a shame. Must be some weird interaction with the VR mod I use.

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    German Virtual Racers Community Foren-Übersicht -> Richard Burns Rally -> Next Generation Physics Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Gehe zu Seite Zurück  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Weiter
Seite 22 von 23

Gehe zu:  
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.
Du kannst Dateien in diesem Forum nicht posten
Du kannst Dateien in diesem Forum nicht herunterladen

Cobalt 2.0 phpBB theme/template by Jakob Persson.
Copyright © 2002-2004 Jakob Persson

Modifieds: 2004-2006 by Adi