German Virtual Racers Community Portal
German Virtual Racers Community Foren-Übersicht

NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin
Gehe zu Seite Zurück  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Weiter

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    German Virtual Racers Community Foren-Übersicht -> Richard Burns Rally -> Next Generation Physics
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
pedrodfa
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

Bilder im Album: 0

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 16:39    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

wrcpunture, i did the same experience with the wet gravel tyres on sikakama and yes it feels much better and right (of course its slower), car is much more balanced and not always understeering mid corner and especially on exit.
BUT the same understeering problem also occurs for example in dry gravel with dry gravel tyres.
Like Tyler said, the problem remains on gravel. Could it be a tyre problem? but definetely the R5 cars (im using the skoda evo) feel very unbalanced on certain surfaces, especially on snow.
When driving on wet gravel with wet gravel tyres it feels more correct, one can control the car more with the pedals than the steering, like bee said in one of the posts. What I think is that what he said is not happening with certain combinations/cars and thats why much more steering rotation is needed cause you just cant get the car to powerslide and "hug" the corner in a controlled manner. 

I will let you here with an example, Jan Kopecky in SSS Lousada Stage, Rally Portugal 2019, only one corner, the long medium left before one of the hairpins. Three perspectives of the same corner, notice how little he has to steer the wheel especially after midcorner till exit. I drove the same corner with the same car in RBR in the Lousada wrc stage. Yes of course its not a 100 correct representation of the real stage, and also they wet that corner in the real stage to have more spectacle, so I tried with different surfaces - dry and wet, with the correct tyres. Conclusion, only on wet it felt more correct, with the dry I dont think its correct, even if they wet it in the real stage and we cant see it how it would be if it was dry - I think it would not be like it behaves in NGP6.   

--Kopecky--

tv coverage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ga_LUS4oH4

onboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9fQ4tCiLAg

steering wheel cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGLlORKilT4

--me, RBRngp6 (skoda evo r5, default setup)---

DRY- exterior cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyGua70BMKQ

DRY- onboard cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn-LEGAs7fg

WET- exterior cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYjg9vynDY

WET- onboard cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta9AAoAd_HI

(EDIT: this message was written before the last 6.2 ngp)

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Persönliches Foto Album
jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 17:28    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Hello Bee, I want to ask you about something also related to snow - with NGP6 all Snow France tracks (very popular original tracks mod) now cause a car to slow down / stuck very quickly if you drive on the roadside (i.e. during some small cuts).
I know some slowing down is the expected behavior, but now it behaves like falling into a swamp rather than driving on a snow.
Do you think this could be tweaked on the NGP6 side or it would need to edit the tracks itselves to fix the issue?

And - what is "UDP telemetry"? smile

Thank you!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Persönliches Foto Album AIM-Name
WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

Bilder im Album: 29
Bilder in P. Galerie: 27
WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 17:50    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

@jendabek

The snow walls behave as expected.
You do not "drive" on them, you get sucked in if the angle is steep enough.
I do not have a problem with them.

UDP telemetry is, as the name implies, telemetry sent over UDP.
So if you want, you may implement some receiver to get a hand on the data.
We will use this for the SFX-100 platform.

Regarding the rest, I'm with Tyler and wrcPuncture.
As it is obvious that nobody actually reads my postings, I will do without explanations in the future.

Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Bilder im Album: 37
Bilder in P. Galerie: 2
Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 18:04    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

About the snow France tracks, i can answer. I try to make the roadsidephysic as "depht" snow. somee time after releease, i thought about it. it dosnt feel right. I want/will to change that after my Remlar track is finished.

i dont know right, but maybe it is same silly physic of snowall (so maybe it can adjust in both ways, trackchange and suface physic adjustments)

Thank you guys, that you hold your mind open for a open discussion. we have allways the problem of transfer reality to virtuality and need be free for trying things that do not correspond to our own taste and be objective with the result.

Zitat:
but as many cars and surfaces are great, why can be bad just the combination with R5 on snow?

i think, most of other cars avoid the problem with more setupoptions or better fitting geometry (or whatever). You (the driver) also able accustom without think about. The other cars can be maybe (to) easy controlled and we can easy readjust the real situations, but also possibly not fit with reality. so we can here not see the result of the problem (compare RBR replay with Real video) as much as the r5 car (and i belive, for understeer behavior the i20R5 ist the worst example we have.). Thats also the reason, why i wrote, i feel, its to easy to drive RWD on snow ( but im able to drive it similar as reality, only less restive

i will try the new update later

edit: i take a look to the track itself. the Main problem of the snowwallphysic is the track itself. The snowwallphysic suits very good if you realy have snowwalls. but it looks like its modelled simple and the snowwallphysic is on all other side roade parts (without a modeled snow wall) too. the result, if you try to drive as you see (cut a little bit) the front tire allways gets the snowwallphysic and you will turn in to this side.
in past (original physic) the snowwallphysic has to less impact (we are remember, sikkakama was cuttet as hell). so it is the fault of track and we have to deal with it (try to avoid cuts on original snowtracks!)

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Lamda am Do Jan 02, 2020 19:10, insgesamt 2-mal bearbeitet

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 18:17    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Good news Lamda, thank you! Also I cannot wait to test your Remlar track as you make one of the best quality stages for RBR - good luck and don't forget to share your progress with us! smile

I also want to ask everyone to stay positive regardless of any criticism, we all just want to help make RBR even better and I am sure nobody wants to offend anyone here. Thank you

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Persönliches Foto Album AIM-Name
Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 19:48    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

I quicktest the new update

sometimes i got again understeer but in a different way. it is on a level that the reason could be by my driving skill (it is adjusted to the behavior before), by the car itself (real car) or by the not optimised setup.

for me it changed all. I can get my car position before turn in (weight transfer), i can control during drift if i get more understeer or oversteer AND i can change it in long corner too. Another point (it wasnt big in my mind before) i can rely better play with weight for right-left/left-right combinations.

But i dont understand one point, i have not that big issue with the snowwall anymore. Ok i get the "turn into roadside edge" behavior on the "cut" parts but im able to control it with countersteering a bit. at least i was mostly turn in (and "kick out" of the road)??
was there also something change? the snowwall itself feel samee as before?

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 20:01    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Lamda, maybe it is a noob question as I didn't mess with the Material Editor yet, but wouldn't be possible to just "remap" the roadside surface material to some more adequate like "SnowOnIce_Medium"?

Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 02, 2020 20:48    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

it isnt possible because it is an original track. originaltrackss use Multimaterials (overlying). both generate own physic.

if you want rework, you also must rework texture, that cost to much time

its need to stay as it is

edit: after 2 more hours testing, i think the change is smaler than i thought. you get few more possibilitys to handle the car, but you have hard work for oversteer. Maybe it is nessesary to work a little bit more in that way of last change because:
1. i use a setup which is special for generating oversteer (diff brake front/rear=0; stiff antirollbar rear (19); brake 55:45; camber more to neutral; toe out at front)
2. i can drive the car with 540° hardware wheelangle but i need to often steer more than 90 degress and to often around 180° (one hand). in real mostly have to steer near to 180^only short times to "kick" or countersteer your car in some weak car situations (to get control back).
In RBR i neeed it also for weak situations but also sometimes to get oversteer back.

the snowwall issue wasnt solved by this updaten. if i compare my replays, i saw with more oversteer i automaticly avoid it more to cut to deep (better control of the car, because i can hold it oversteered and not fighting with random uncontrollable switches from oversteer to understeer

i dont realized it in my first test.

pedrodfa
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 03, 2020 00:20    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Is the 6.2 snow tyre change placebo? Didn’t feel much, if anything at all.

wrcPuncture
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 03, 2020 02:57    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

I didn't want to get involved in this snow topic again, but Bee releases new update so..
I don't think it is placebo. I'm almost sure that it is not. I feel two main differences:

Snowbanks - feels much "lighter", it doesn't catch me so fast and it allows me to cut it more. It doesn't slow me down as before if I hit it. But yeah, in real life we have a lot types of snowbanks (frozen, fresh snow etc.) so imho it's a question of "taste". Definitely much easier now for me.

Tyres - I'm not sure as I drove it just for a few km, but for the first time it felt like there is less lateral grip, so to say.. not much, but I feel it allows me to slide more, for the R5 - keep the skid for a longer time.

Guys, please note, that it was just first short test, but I think the biggest differences appear immidietaly after switching "physics" because we are used to old version.

so my point of view: for me it was quite OK before, but now also OK. But it is easier and more friendly now. The difference for me is something like: drive on the different snow surface, or using different tyres, setup.

Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 03, 2020 14:43    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Zitat:
so my point of view: for me it was quite OK before, but now also OK. But it is easier and more friendly now. The difference for me is something like: drive on the different snow surface, or using different tyres, setup.

your point of view is, "handle it" but not "get the samee result as in reality"

as i said, you also can handle the car easy with understeer behavior, so it will ok for most of the driver. But that should not the goal.

your setup point is only true if your prefered driving style is more in understeer direction. ok, you can create some crazy setupchanges to oversteer more, but than you be out of every realistic setup. for now you can make a setup with oversteer behavior which could use in reality too. But if you think about your values, this setup would be a havy oversteered setup in reality but you get a light oversteered car in RBR.

Zitat:
As it is obvious that nobody actually reads my postings
and you obvious not read the explaination of the reesult. It is not useefull to explain all the theoretical right stuff and blame the testdriver, if it is not possible to do it practical with same result as reality. A driver can only drive with that car/physic he get. he cant create magical behavior only by theoreticly right ideas. you should not blame someone if none was able to get (and show) your theoretical (realistic) result. Thats my critism to this.

with the new changes im able to reproduce your comments in same way as you wrote. i never said your idea/fact "how it should work" is wrong, but it doesnt work in past. the result is actualy a bit far away from reality (for my taste) but i will test other R5 cars (Fabia R5), because most of Videoos show the Fabia R5, not the I20R5 (to avoid a opinion by reason of the car itself)

every test should NOT aim the goal "i like it" or " i can handle it", it should be the goal " can i reproduce the reality in same way as a driver in reality can drive"
As close we are, as realistic it is (but we also have the probleem to transfeer the reality to virtuality with a little bit of imagine for some not transferable issues, thats true). And if something is near impossible to drive as in reality is (like A P911GT3 on deep mud) than i take it and i like it too!

Zitat:
Yep. Honestly I only understand 50% of what you write, the other half is lost in translation.

sorry about that, my english is often a little bit poor (i know that). feel free too ask if you dosn´t understand something (i also answer you via PM if you dont want write it in the actual discussion thread).

my comment before was not targeting your drive explaination, your result (replay) shows not realy what you talking about yourself (maybe you did as you said, but the result was also far from reality/video)

edit: after 1h Fabia R5 (evo) test, i can say the basic behavior is same as i20R5. The different between the cars are a faster reaction of Fabia, less reaction for load on Fabia and less oversteer movement. The rear of I20R5 moving slower but more than Fabia R5. In general as much different as expected between cars of the same class. I would expected, the Fabia would more nervous, but yes, the regulations limit the cars much so in my opinion very realistic gap between the cars itself.

so i would follow my gerneral statement for my I20R5 test too

edit 2: I also test Yaris WRC and P911GT3. For yaris you need some setupchanges to avoid oversteer (thats not the counterpart against the discussed understeer behavior because its mostly produced by center differential). you feel the understeer behavior to, but you can more easy deal with it. The setup changes are not so big and realy into possible realistic values. it could easy changed more in that direction without use crazy values. The WRC are not eeasy driveable, if it would, everyone could be easy drive fast in reality.
This test shows me, that the right setup is important to handle a WRC (that backed my statement, you have more possibilitys to change car behavior against worst car movement)

P911GT3: i said long time ago, it is too easy. On the new test it was not easy to drive the Porsche with standard setup (some spinnings). But i think with some setupchanges you will have no problem to control. Could still to easy yet. In my opinion, to handle that car on snow, you need a good setup and a realy good driver skill for RWD. It goes actual in the direction as i preedicted (hard to deal with accelation and car spinning) I think Bee will agree to my imagine how such Porsche working on slippy surfaces

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Lamda am Fr Jan 03, 2020 19:12, insgesamt 2-mal bearbeitet

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 03, 2020 18:16    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Zitat:
the result is actualy a bit far away from reality (for my taste) but i will test other R5 cars (Fabia R5), because most of Videoos show the Fabia R5, not the I20R5 (to avoid a opinion by reason of the car itself)

every test should NOT aim the goal "i like it" or " i can handle it", it should be the goal " can i reproduce the reality in same way as a driver in reality can drive"

There is a point I don't get.

I could watch hundreds of videos showing matches of Federer vs. Nadal, but I still would not get anyway close to their skills, reproducing this with a real racket on a real court.
No matter how long I would practice.
Imagine how a "replay" of me playing would look like ...

So, is our simulation so far from reality, or our skills not the best ?

Actually I had much fun driving the Hyundai R5 on snow with 6.2.
The snow tire is less sharp now, and thus easier to handle, as the operating window is wider.
Exactly what our more flexible test drivers have reported.
If pedrodfa would actually pull his head out of his arse he may realize that the changes are far from being a placebo.
Sorry, but this guy is only trolling.

Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 03, 2020 19:07    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

you want compare things without equal requirements.
your body, mind and training are far away from nadal, so your racket, ball or court is irrelevant.

i take your example, replace human body with car and all around (bracket, ball, environment, court) with NGP physic.
If that is near perfect and you train for example 2 years, i belive, if you understand how nadal do something, you also can do all what he do. sure, if you try something it will work 1 of 10 times, but you will able to do and it will look same (why not?)

the only missing point is, how close can something simulated (hardware and software). It must be something impossible to simulate that something is impossible to do with a realistic result. I dont think the human itself is the biggest gap between reality and virtual...

And as i said, if someone had show me that NGP is able to reproduce the reality exact (The next generation WRC championship winner, a more than me talented flying fin, Who ever....) it would be enough for me to dissipate my doubt

jansku22
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 03, 2020 20:55    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

@Bee

New telemetry values (SI) units?

048 - roll - ?
049 - pitch - ?
050 - yaw - ?

Do I have to do math or is raw data ok?

My test drive starting points was about: roll=0.05, pitch=-0.02, yaw=1.4.

Maybe radians?

And can I send UDP telemetry data to Android phone, same kind as "topdrive" has done:
http://topdrive.cba.pl/

pedrodfa
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 00:01    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Bee is your age really 51 years old? Sometimes I feel you are a 12 year old brat. Do you think I would upload 7 videos and have this discussions if I was a troll? That just doesnt make any sense.
I could point you for example this funny behavior of yours: when somebody first criticized the r5 cars understeering on snow you just replied furious that people should just learn the proper AWD technique. THEN after some days you update the physics version! WHY did you do that then?
Just be humble and learn to deal with criticism. YES NGP is fantastic, but its not the cure for cancer, calm down. You should step down from your pedestal because you also make ridiculous arguments like the tennis one. come on, really?? We are talking physics, how the ball and the racket and the court should behave, not driver/player skill! Are you really gonna tell me we have to bring Rovanpera to show us that the R5s dont understeer too much??? To be honest im a bit disapointed that you dont see the problems of ngp yourself.
Your problem is all this people calling you a god and licking your feet from day one. But if it was for them, maybe NGP didnt evolve as it did when you have people criticizing it.
Why do you even have this forum for ngp? If you only want to hear how good you are and how good the physics are it makes no sense.
Im out of here anyway, tired of dealing with a 50 year old baby.

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 01:00    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

@pedrodfa
Haha, that really fits into the big troll picture.
If you are out of arguments, you start to offend.
Sorry buddy, but I can't take you serious.

@jansku22
Yes, it is radians.
Roll/Pitch are in car space. We use this to position the seat.
Yaw is in world space, relative to the x-axis, as defined by the track creator. Actually just there for the record and not really useful, other than for someone wanting to draw a pointing arrow or whatever.
You may send the data to any address (not hostname!), I tested it on my local network over two routers between gaming pc and laptop.

@Lamda
Take 10 drivers and you have 10 opinions about realistic or driveable behavior.
As some stated here, including myself, the R5 are perfectly controllable on all surfaces.

There is no magic parameter in the physics to make a 55/45 front-weight-biased car into terminal oversteer. That would be a canned effect they may have in other games, but is against all vehicle dynamics principles.
So there is just no way to "fix" this issue, as there is none.
The slightly different snow tires help to control it in a little easier way. That's all.
The basic understeer tendency will ever remain, no doubt about that.
The WRCs are 50/50 or maybe 49/51, so these are inherently neutral to slightly oversteer.
You don't have to be a genius to realize that it is easier to tune a 50/50 car to your liking than a 55/45, where you finally have to adapt your driving style.

Good night boys, time for my baby bottle. lol

wrcPuncture
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 02:09    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Lamda hat folgendes geschrieben:

your point of view is, "handle it" but not "get the samee result as in reality"

No, I think you didn't get my point. I have driven many km on snow in real life. With snow tyres, with studded tyres - big studs, smaller studs and even the winter tyre with tiny studs. Everything with AWD cars, sometimes with active central diff, more with viscous central diff. And trust me, the conditions/surface is different almost always. Sometimes you have lot of fresh snow, sometimes just a few with icy surface under it etc.
So thats the reason why I liked previous version, and why I like also new version. Because I know that different surface can make huge difference. Yeah, I know that Bee changed something on tyres, not surface (I think). But basically something was changed, driving is slightly different now and I used to many differences from real life. that's all. I have to adapt to car/conditions.

I'm also not so satisfied about R5 on snow, but when I try WRC or gr.A cars, I'm very satisfied. So firstly maybe I have to use to for R5 driving philosophy...

and one rhetorical question: If we are trying to simulate reality, are you sure you would be able to drive these cars in real life? I mean WRC, R5, 911 and similar beasts, fastly and on every surface at the same time. Me - even if I ignore fear and inexperience, and I consider myself a good driver, I'm really not sure..really not. Yeah, we have more "space", more chances, less fear and we can go flatout immediately. But maybe if we are talking about reality, we have to also proceed as in reality.

BTW: you mentioned something about setup vs. real setup. Do you have some informations about real R5/WRC snow setup that you can share with us? No hate, but personally I'm really curious about this as it is a "problem" to get some real data.

PS: guys, please! Come on..Let's be nice to each other. It is virtual and it's done for a fun and pleasure of driving. We have to cooperate, be polite. bia

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 11:25    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

wrcPuncture hat folgendes geschrieben:
So thats the reason why I liked previous version, and why I like also new version. Because I know that different surface can make huge difference. Yeah, I know that Bee changed something on tyres, not surface (I think). But basically something was changed, driving is slightly different now and I used to many differences from real life. that's all. I have to adapt to car/conditions.

Please note that car behavior is the result of the pair tire/surface.
So if you change one part, the pair's behavior changes.
That is the main reason why you can't make every tire on every surface perfect.
The only "best" pairing is the right tire on the right surface, i.e. tarmac tire on tarmac surface.
The snow tire is special, as it is the only one which has better performance with more wear on tarmac surface, as the studs are destroyed more and more in the process. Just to give an example.
But basically I would not use such a tire on tarmac.

and one rhetorical question: If we are trying to simulate reality, are you sure you would be able to drive these cars in real life? I mean WRC, R5, 911 and similar beasts, fastly and on every surface at the same time. Me - even if I ignore fear and inexperience, and I consider myself a good driver, I'm really not sure..really not. Yeah, we have more "space", more chances, less fear and we can go flatout immediately. But maybe if we are talking about reality, we have to also proceed as in reality.

Copy that.
In real life you have to approach the limit from below. Otherwise you would destroy more cars than you could ever afford. Or even worse, lose your life in the process.

In RBR we approach the limit from above. Crashing all the time until we finally know the limit more or less.

Looking at videos or the real thing is different from doing it yourself.
Watching Röhrl driving the Ascona or Porsche seems like, oh cool, so you apply full throttle and do some fancy countersteering.
Shouldn't be that difficult. Let's become a rally driver ...

But, as soon as you get into a real car and try it yourself, you realize very quickly that it only looks easy if done by professionals.

Another point to note.
Watching videos of very good drivers like Toivonen/Röhrl/Vatanen etc., driving different RWD cars with different layouts (front/mid/rear engine), you simply can't tell the difference in "realistic" behavior.
To the average observer it all looks the same. These cars oversteer, the more throttle, the more the rear steps out.
But you do not observe the underlying vehicle dynamics.
You just don't see that the Porsche is a twitchy and nasty beast if not driven properly.
You don't see that the Ascona is relatively easy to handle.

Even two top notch drivers like Röhrl and Vatanen characterized the Ascona in a totally different way.
To Röhrl it was very easy to handle, very fast on tarmac.
Vatanen stated that it was a way too much understeering car which he could not handle properly as he liked, so he was slower than he could be.
The same real life physics, two drivers, two opinions.
Both "realistic".

So, nothing in NGP is unrealistic. Just different.
It is based on real data, but even real measured data only tells part of the truth.
So you have to pick the best fit and try to make the best for the simulation.

PS: guys, please! Come on..Let's be nice to each other. It is virtual and it's done for a fun and pleasure of driving. We have to cooperate, be polite. bia

Copy that.
But it seems that some guys can't cope with someone fighting back.

Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 14:28    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Zitat:
guys, please! Come on..Let's be nice to each other. It is virtual and it's done for a fun and pleasure of driving. We have to cooperate, be polite.
im totaly with you, but should applies for all! If someone start to blame, he should not wonder if the other strikes back. Both have to calm down and let the shit in there haed.

Zitat:
Watching videos of very good drivers like Toivonen/Röhrl/Vatanen etc., driving different RWD cars with different layouts (front/mid/rear engine), you simply can't tell the difference in "realistic" behavior.
To the average observer it all looks the same. These cars oversteer, the more throttle, the more the rear steps out.

no it dosnt if you analyse in detail. limitations of requirements result in limitation of result. a FWD will neever shows as RWD dosnt matter how you drive it (i know i know youe will say, it is only to put the view on)
personal opinions baseed on the prefered style so it will stay allways subjeective. a analysed video is more objectiv, if you not only analyze what happend with the car, but also show what and when the driver does and how the souroundings are.

@wrcPuncture, i fully agree with you and the opinion about totaly differences and some misses of details in RBR. we have only one spiked snowtyre, in reality you have more different choices (count of nails, lenght of it and which tyre (cut profile) you like to use) or the surfaces are much more different as RBR ever can constitute.
but this should be the reason, that we goal to a average behavior for this surface and not one special. here you can show 10 videeos and 8 of them shows a similar behavior (it is mostly that with FIA regulated turnaments)

otherwise you can tell nearly all realistic, you can allways make stupid setups (i belive this also will happend in reality), wrong tyre choice and have special surfaces.

Zitat:
I have to adapt to car/conditions
and this is my point, you need the possibilitys. your adaption based on your requirements. Thats the point, why is Bee wrong as he tell us how to drive but no one also can reproduce the his preedicted behavior (but say its all about the driver)

Zitat:

Zitat:
you mentioned something about setup vs. real setup. Do you have some informations about real R5/WRC snow setup that you can share with us? No hate, but personally I'm really curious about this as it is a "problem" to get some real data.
you can imagine, that some changes would be very stupid and never work in reality for example a very stiff rear axle or a 50:50 braking balance with an opeen differential on braking .....

Zitat:
You don't have to be a genius to realize that it is easier to tune a 50/50 car to your liking than a 55/45, where you finally have to adapt your driving style.
nothing wrong with that, never write it different, where is your point? i only say, you need the possibilitys. You can adapt what you want, you will not able to reproduce realitic (average) behavior if the requirements not fit.

i allways feel the understeer behavior for the WRC cars too, but as i said before, this can be easy avoid with some little setupchanges and a littlee bit different driving. but it stay present.

its clearly simple, show it which behavior is your goal (in practise) and show us in real videos, that is not a special situation. Than im totaly fine with all

I think, a little more changes in same way as last would negatee most of my points. for R5 car, you will need to setup your car a little bit to avoid oversteer without some strange values, for WRC nothing will changed, you have only tune seetup a little bit and RWD needs also setuptuning and more driving skill to handle it on snow.

Sometimes i realy ask me if you realy understand my points because you often underline how difficult is rallydriving. as i read my posts, my result is, it is/was much to easy to drive and handle it with NGP6 on snow. The car behavior and movement is/was against difficulty. i belive, few more change will make it less full accelation driving and need more the right setup and driving tequnics to drivee stable and fast (more work with peedals and steering wheel)

jendabek
Chefmechaniker
Chefmechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 15:30    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Sorry to interrupt the snow behavior discussion, but I would like to forward these simple questions to Bee from a people in CZ community:

- can we ask you to include some S2000 cars?
- and what about Citroen R5 (Rodriguez model)?

Thanks!

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 17:06    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

@jendabek
S2000 are planned.
C3 R5 will also be included.
But I can't promise anything.

@Lamda
As my former test driver you should know by now that I do not base physics on videos.
So I am not going to show a single one to prove anything or as an example how it should be.
You don't learn vehicle dynamics by watching videos. This seems to be one point where we do not agree.

The proposal to use less locking at the rear sounds ok, because any locking diff makes for understeer.
Honestly I have not tested this yet, and maybe never will due to lack of time.
It's not my business to make perfect setups for everyone and each and every car. wink

Lamda
GVRC-Moderator
GVRC-Moderator

Lamda's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 04, 2020 19:00    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Zitat:
You don't learn vehicle dynamics by watching videos. This seems to be one point where we do not agree.

you have some points where it is not clear in which details RBR match with reality. so you have allways room for adjustments without use bullshit values.

the perfect situation would be if RBR show and feel same as reality with allways realistic values.

we have the situation, you have realistic values (in range it should be theoreethic realistic) and it should theoreticly working same as reality. But as for now, noone can confirm it.
a reaction counts allways in a counter rection. So you not have to learn car dynamics from videos, use it for proving your work.

where is the missing link? (i hope you will not maintain, the RBR result and the real result match together)

we have some options:
1. The driver itself. Could be, but probably is that we have some driver who good understand how a rallyecar is to handle. Til now, NO ONE WAS ABLE to prove, that NGP6 fit with reality on our snowbehavior point.

2. The special snowtyres working a little bit different as you think or practical there where used differnt kind of tyres regulary

3. The underground compromise is not the average of a normal s rallye snowroad (more losen frozen particle, harder, softer, more or less slippy or whateveer in whatever combination you have). you have only 3 different snowphysics for RBR surface. maybe too poor.

4. something more for example stiffness of car cell or other components. maybe it dosnt matter, but maybe it have some influences

5. some other random influences

RBR can even simulate much raw but i know how much time a real dynamic simulation of only little components need. RBR is never able to simulate all this in realtime. So you allways work with an poor simulation with some blind parts inside. You can take realistic parameter and values but the reesult must not be exact same as reality (beecause of some poorness or randomness). For a game RBR is good enough, actal (with NGP) the best one ever. But it is not perfect.

So we have the situation of a theoretical perfect simulation but practical a result a little bit far from reality (where obviosly noone knows wheere the right reasens are)

For me as driver is the final goal to drive as in reality. I can try, learn and excercise for my final goal, i will go closer and closer. But its only working if im ABLE to drive as in reality. So what can I do to get my final goal, no onee can teach me to do it better, no one can show me. I can only learn from reality, how can i if i not have a R5 car in my garage and some own ground for practise driving? I learn from Videos, how to do it, but stop, i try and do the same but it will not working. The result is not useless for me but disappointing.
I simulation game shuld be close as possible on reality but in result not in some details behind. And no, i not say you should use some unrealistic values, i belive you have some space to adjust with different view on some reasons.
I m with you, unrealitic values mostly result in wrong behavior (maybe on other places)

And no, you not need make perfect setups, we neeed always a base with a good handling for common driver. I would not have any problem with understeered behavior for this. everyone can change (if it is possible) and skilled driveer should be able to change it for the own taste.

i dont know, why we discuss about, you are going too far out of your range in your mind, that a few more isn´t possible anymore? for me the steep was very big, maybe the change wasnt as big as the impact? in my opinion there is no need for big steps here. im talking about a few more that the car fit more in the setup possibilitys. actual you can set a R5 to light oversteer with bigger understeer tendency (the values seems on the border to unrealistic (and produce in other situations some strange behavior). you have not realy the chance to make a worst oversteering car. And it fits not against other car classes.

hwrld
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 05, 2020 09:04    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Lamda hat folgendes geschrieben:
you have some points where it is not clear in which details RBR match with reality. so you have allways room for adjustments without use bullshit values.

Without knowing the exact state of the project it's fairly disrespectful to make such assumptions. If there's any room for improvement I'd say it's safe to say Bee is more than aware of it.
From practical perspective however, it isn't always worth the time and effort to implement it immediately.
Eg. people are happy with NGP6 as it currently is and waiting for it to be implemented and also requests for certain cars. Priorities.

Zitat:
the perfect situation would be if RBR show and feel same as reality with allways realistic values.

we have the situation, you have realistic values (in range it should be theoreethic realistic) and it should theoreticly working same as reality. But as for now, noone can confirm it.
a reaction counts allways in a counter rection. So you not have to learn car dynamics from videos, use it for proving your work.
There's couple of side-by-side videos. "Proving" it's technically possible to match real driver's time and techniques.
I'd also say if you'd pay half as much time on current NGP videos I'm sure you'd notice cars do seem to be moving and behaving in a rather similar fashion. As to be expected.
But it's all a moot point. With a little bit of movie magic or slight tweaking could probably match original RBR with some professional driver.

Zitat:
where is the missing link? (i hope you will not maintain, the RBR result and the real result match together)
Unless Bee decides to open up the entire thing there's no real, practical way to verify either way. So for the moment it's pretty much what Bee says it is if any.

Zitat:
we have some options:
1. The driver itself. Could be, but probably is that we have some driver who good understand how a rallyecar is to handle. Til now, NO ONE WAS ABLE to prove, that NGP6 fit with reality on our snowbehavior point.
Stick to that. Either find someone who *can* prove or disprove it or wait for it to happen.

Zitat:
3. The underground compromise is not the average of a normal s rallye snowroad (more losen frozen particle, harder, softer, more or less slippy or whateveer in whatever combination you have). you have only 3 different snowphysics for RBR surface. maybe too poor.
Goes without saying, it's a given. That's simply how it is. Also keep in mind the surface remains "static". You can't really "dig in", there's no changing environment (eg. drop in air temperature affecting surface throughout the race) and many, many more subtle factors.
Yes, could "easily" drop them all in but then it won't run on any modern PC if you plan to simulate every single particle and add every little factor what potentially may have an affect.
But all that said NGP is still an impressive approximation.

Zitat:
RBR can even simulate much raw but i know how much time a real dynamic simulation of only little components need. RBR is never able to simulate all this in realtime. So you allways work with an poor simulation with some blind parts inside. You can take realistic parameter and values but the reesult must not be exact same as reality (beecause of some poorness or randomness). For a game RBR is good enough, actal (with NGP) the best one ever. But it is not perfect.
"Poor" is rather harsh given how well it's been able to manage so far. And yes, it seems you're beginning to realize the reason why it's called simulation and not reality is beacuse it's an imitation of certain *aspects* of reality to produce desired results. There will never be a complete, perfect realistic (literally) simulation because then it'd no longer be a simulation now would it?

Zitat:
So we have the situation of a theoretical perfect simulation but practical a result a little bit far from reality (where obviosly noone knows wheere the right reasens are)
If no one knows where the right reasons are then it's a bit much to say it's "far" from reality. If anything the consensus seems to be quite the opposite.

Zitat:
For me as driver is the final goal to drive as in reality. I can try, learn and excercise for my final goal, i will go closer and closer. But its only working if im ABLE to drive as in reality. So what can I do to get my final goal, no onee can teach me to do it better, no one can show me. I can only learn from reality, how can i if i not have a R5 car in my garage and some own ground for practise driving? I learn from Videos, how to do it, but stop, i try and do the same but it will not working. The result is not useless for me but disappointing.
So, in your mind when you try to recreate some technique a couple of times having learnt it through some videos and failing means the simulation is bad? That's quite a leap to make.
For one, videos do not give you any kind of feedback in terms of how it "feels" to do something. All you've got is visual information which is very lacking to say the least. Starting with the basics like camera distortion. This more or less makes videos as learning resource useless without some practical way to test it out.
Simply put, let a kid watch how to ride bike. Then, go out and put him on the bicycle. What do you think will happen?

Zitat:
I simulation game shuld be close as possible on reality but in result not in some details behind. And no, i not say you should use some unrealistic values, i belive you have some space to adjust with different view on some reasons.
Then you're simulating a very narrow aspect and each and every little change would require different kind of simulation.
Bee decided to simulate it on an idealistic theoretical basis because that's roughly what the idea was to begin with. But as we know, original RBR, while one of the best, still had fairly odd hard-coded approximations.
Bee has clearly stated he's not in any way interested to simulate it according to some assumptions or feelings about reality.
About the other point, no. It's akin to saying there's room to improve laws of classical physics. It's actually true in certain sense because it's still an approximation. Just a really stable, consistent one. But the point being, Bee doesn't write laws, he uses them. If you've got a beef with someone feel free to take a stab at physics community.
And that goes about other things as well. For all practical purposes a lot of what is being said and used is technically an absolute truth.
Adjustments to be made is trying to make the game as compatible as possible. There are significant limitations on all fronts and always will be. "Realtime" software is hardly that and despite what you do on that front, unless you've got a very specific and expensive equipment it's all wasted effort.
You could up substepping sky high and pump out as much data as you can but it'd never run and even if it did what's the point when you've got a 16ms delay before you receive any visual information. Maybe you could "feel" it sooner but it hardly helps when you react "blindly" and so on. Fact is, it's anything but realtime.

Zitat:
And no, you not need make perfect setups, we neeed always a base with a good handling for common driver. I would not have any problem with understeered behavior for this. everyone can change (if it is possible) and skilled driveer should be able to change it for the own taste.
For a common driver I'd say it's more than reasonable and apparently those who're step above can also tweak it enough where it behaves and feels the way they're used to?

Zitat:
i dont know, why we discuss about, you are going too far out of your range in your mind, that a few more isn´t possible anymore? for me the steep was very big, maybe the change wasnt as big as the impact? in my opinion there is no need for big steps here. im talking about a few more that the car fit more in the setup possibilitys. actual you can set a R5 to light oversteer with bigger understeer tendency (the values seems on the border to unrealistic (and produce in other situations some strange behavior). you have not realy the chance to make a worst oversteering car. And it fits not against other car classes.
Really the issue from an outsider's perspective is that you have your own ideas how things should work and Bee basically saying in current context there's nothing to "tweak" per se.
You've got a lot of telemetry data available to you. Play around, do some testing, read basic dynamics and see if it makes sense and corresponds to what is expected.
You *think* there's something wrong but there's no practical way to verify it and rest assured even if there were neither you or me would be able to fully grasp it.

Finally I'd like to point out - as stated countless times before - the massive lack of general feedback. Think about it this way, it's fairly easy to underestimate car speed in real life, it's easy to overestimate grip on loose surface and it's also very easy to "lose" the narrow window of opportunity for correction. All of that makes real life driving or racing slightly more complicated when things go south than it may seem from any number of videos.
Now, what you have is a small screen and a wheel what provides spotty and lacking feedback. Not to mention significant latency between what you see and what you feel (both ways). You've got a lot less to work with than you would otherwise.
That's also why what Bee said about top-down approach is absolutely correct. The only way to get any proper feeling for the car is to basically crash your way to top until you know by heart how it tends to behave.
That said, understanding Bee's work and basic car dynamics does go a long way.
In that sense unless you know what you're talking about it's a bit much to go on to state it's flawed when people who've either rallied or just gone for a fun drive say it's impressively close to real life.
From my own experience, any issues I've had have come down to my lack of understanding or underestimating a *rally* car. Like I said, it's initially difficult to properly judge the vehicle and how it behaves due to lack of sensory input.

Who would have thought, rallying is really complicated matter for countless of reasons. Not least the lack of experience and available systems and equipment.

WorkerBee
GVRC Veteran
GVRC Veteran

WorkerBee's P. Galerie

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 05, 2020 12:46    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

@hwrld
Thank you, couldn't have said it any better.

Lamda, just face it, we do not agree at all.

So guys, back to business:

2020-01-05
* new car
** Citroen C3 R5 (model by Ha3aP & Rodriguez)

Good news, the UDP telemetry works perfectly, as we have successfully tested the first SFX-100 motion platform.
Just worked out-of-the-box. Pretty cool.
I will post some additional links after some more testing. A little configuration work is still to be done to make a decent default profile.

Maybe a S2000 next, don't know yet ...

LauroRally
Mechaniker
Mechaniker

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jan 05, 2020 13:27    Titel: NGP (Next Generation Physics) Plugin Antworten mit Zitat Back to top

Is there any way to take advantage of the ngp6 and edit the physics for cars that I want? I could help and take advantage of these amazing ngp6, I would like cars like the R4 / N5 / MaxiRally to appear, the only thing that needs to be edited is the engine power and the transmission case, I would be very happy

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    German Virtual Racers Community Foren-Übersicht -> Richard Burns Rally -> Next Generation Physics Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Gehe zu Seite Zurück  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Weiter
Seite 10 von 17

Gehe zu:  
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.
Du kannst Dateien in diesem Forum nicht posten
Du kannst Dateien in diesem Forum nicht herunterladen

Cobalt 2.0 phpBB theme/template by Jakob Persson.
Copyright © 2002-2004 Jakob Persson

Modifieds: 2004-2006 by Adi